What If Your Dog Eats Something Poisonous

What If Your Dog Eats Something Poisonous?

What If Your Dog Eats Something Poisonous

Dogs are funny creatures. Your dog may only eat one specific brand and flavor dog food but will then swallow an odd object he found on the floor.

According to WebMD, the over-the-counter and prescription medications are most commonly ingested poisons. Even a small dose of human medication can be life-threatening for a dog.

What if your do eats something poisonous? Certain foods are safe for humans but are poisonous to dogs. Sometimes, dogs swallow chemicals and other poisonous agents. If you aren’t around when he does that, there are signs to alert you that your pet has swallowed something that is hurting him.

Human Foods That Are Poisonous to Dogs

Foods that are great for us can be dangerous for your dog. Some of the common foods that can be fatal for dogs are

  • Apple and mustard seeds
  • Cherry, peach, and apricot pits
  • Chocolate and coffee
  • Garlic, onions, grapes, raisins, and chewing gum
  • Macadamia nuts, mushrooms
  • Walnuts
  • Xylitol (an artificial sweetener)

Poisons for Dog

In addition to people food and medications, there are several common chemicals and other agents that are poisonous to dogs. One is household products, which covers everything from cleaners to paint thinner and antifreeze. Bleach, for example, causes respiratory and digestive issues. Depending on the product ingested, your dog could have stomach upset, chemical burns, renal failure and even death.

Dogs often find their way to pesticides, rodenticides, and lawn products like weed killer. As you can imagine, your dog is in for serious problems if he ingests them, though symptoms may not start right away. The same applies to insecticides like roach and ant baits.

Household plants can be toxic to dogs, especially rhododendrons, azaleas, daffodils, and tulips. These can cause diarrhea, vomiting, coma, and death. Sago palms are another potential poison if your dog eats the seeds. He may suffer from seizures, vomiting, and liver failure.

Signs of Poisoning

Depending on what your dog ingests, the symptoms will vary. Some of the more common symptoms of poisoning are lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and drooling. Other symptoms are heart issues, breathing difficulties, seizures, and convulsions.

What to Do If Your Dog Ingests Something Poisonous?

If you see your pet eat something poisonous, take him away from the source right away. If you can, bring the label of the substance with you to the vet. If your dog vomits, collect a small sample for testing.

If you’re not sure what to do, call your vet or the Pet Poison Helpline at 1-855-213-6680. Don’t make your dog vomit unless instructed to do so.

Prevention Whenever Possible

Whenever it’s practical to do so, dog-proof your home the same way you would for a child. Many times, dogs eat poisonous foods and chemicals because they are left in the open. Of course, you can’t dog-proof the entire environment. Dogs often find their way to trouble despite out best efforts. When you suspect your dog has eaten something poisonous call your vet or the Pet Poison Helpline right away.

If you are seeking information or require quality veterinary care for your pet please contact St. Francis Veterinary Hospital today at 419.824.8177 or email us.

Share this post